There is something that really bugs me that I need to vent about and it all has to do with religion and the way people manipulate it. But first, let me preface my soap box stance with some background information. I was born, and, for a short period of time, raised Catholic. To say that I am a lapsed Catholic would probably be an understatement. There are many reasons (which I would gladly go into, if you ask. I have nothing to hide..smile) why now, as an adult, I still do not choose to participate in Catholicism. Some has to do with my brother dieing at a very young age; some has to do with my feelings about all of the rules and regulation associated with being a catholic. Some of it has to do with how the church feels about those who are gay or lesbian, and the recent issues with molestation at the hands of priests.
I DO, however, believe in a higher power. I DO believe things happen for a reason...like we are all participating in a master plan. I DO believe in karma, and doing good deeds will come back to you. I DO NOT believe that you have to kneel on popcorn kernels and recite the Lord's Prayer a hundred times in order to get into heaven.
For quite some time, I have wondered how seemingly highly intelligent people could give themselves up to, and have total faith in their chosen religion. Surely, they must know something I do not. Someone that I actually, really don't like said something that made a lot of sense to me. Jesse Ventura (of all people) said "Organized religion is for the weak minded". I took that to mean that people who participate in organized religion would rather throw their hands up in the air and say I LEAVE IT UP TO JESUS, rather than really accept and deal with the problems in their life. THAT I could understand. THAT was tangible. But again, what do these Doctors of Theology know that I do not?
So, to address the reason for my post! While I have been grappling with all of this, I have encountered a select few people who seem to use their beliefs in God and Jesus only when it seems convenient to them. One minute they are spouting profanities and dirty jokes that make ME blush, and the next they are praising the Lord for all that is good. HUH?!?! It makes no sense to me. On one occasion, a particular person was talking about participating in several of the 7 deadly sins, broke most, if not all, of the 10 commandments, but yet still preached to high heaven (no pun intended...ahem...ok, maybe a little pun) when faced with someone they disapprove of.
Is that was faith is? Does believing in God and Jesus also equal becoming an actor in your own life? Are we unable to have faith AND be ourselves? Isn't it better to be yourself and LIVE your faith instead of assume a role that only you think is righteous, and be a hypocrite?
No comments:
Post a Comment